To our CAN Churches and Clergy -
You are invited to be a part of the FRESH EXPRESSIONS VISION DAY on Friday, April 13, 9:30 am – 3:30 pm, at New Albany UMC.
Fresh Expressions Vision Days are one-day, interactive-learning experiences that inspire and equip individuals, church leaders and denominations to pioneer new ways to be the Church. At the Vision Day you will discover:
- How Fresh Expressions are renewing the church around the world
- What it means to be a Mission-Shaped Church
- Tools for starting Fresh Expressions in your area
We are very excited about the new possibilities for ministry that Fresh Expressions will bring to the district! This event is open to clergy and laity, so we invite you to ask 3 or 4 lay members from your congregation to join you.
What is a Fresh Expression of church?
Fresh Expressions is a form of church for our changing culture established primarily for the benefit of people who are not yet part of any church. At its heart, Fresh Expressions is about two things:
- Proclaiming that established churches have a critical, if not central, role to play in God’s mission in our time.
- Empowering and equipping God’s people in every congregation to develop creative ways to reach the increasing diversity of our society: Where are the people we want to reach? Who are they? How do we work outside the walls of the church - but in partnership with the church - to do so?
What does a Fresh Expression of church look like?
- Fresh Expressions are attentive to a micro-climate or environment— i.e. a group of people who share a similar interest, hobby, or meeting place.
- They consider “affinity” before geography. Think about social networks. You might have more in common with someone who lives 10 miles from you than you do with the person who lives next door.
- On the other hand, one might also think hyper-local: Those who live or work closest to you might be the right people for a Fresh Expression.
- Fresh Expressions are small-scale. Think 20-70 people: big enough to throw a party, but small enough to know everyone’s name.
- Fresh Expressions often meet in homes and neighborhood gathering spots.
Fresh Expressions is applicable to all kinds of congregations: larger churches, smaller churches, urban, suburban, and rural churches.
I’m inviting you to join other leaders from across the conference to explore Fresh Expressions. Visit https://freshexpressionsus.org/event/centralohiovisionday/ to learn more and to register. Note that this event is open to others from the community, not just UMC’s, so please register soon. Cost is $35/person for training, materials, and lunch.
Want to know more? God is using ordinary people to start fresh expressions of church all around the world. Learn how in this free e-book: https://freshexpressionsus.org/pioneerebook